You can’t see radon, smell it or taste it, but it may be in your home. Radon comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water and gets into the air we breathe. It becomes a problem when it becomes concentrated above certain levels in your home. Testing by a qualified, certified tester is the only way to know if you and your family are at risk. The EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing of all homes in the U.S. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.

What should I do if my home tests above the acceptable level?

The average indoor radon level is estimated to be about 1.3 pCi/L, and outside air is normally at 0.4pCi/L. If your home’s initial test is 4 pCi/L or higher a second test may be warranted. If confirmed that your average radon level is above 4 pCi/L than the EPA recommends taking steps to lower your home’s radon level.

If you have a problem it can be fixed.

Radon reduction systems work very well and even homes with very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels. Most times the cost of these systems are not extremely expensive. The most important thing is to have your home tested, and then your radon specialist and the EPA guidelines can help guide you on whether any further action is recommended. At Every Home Inspection we offer radon testing services for a fee of $150.00 for a stand alone test or as an add on service to a full home inspection for a $100.00 fee. Please visit the EPA website for more details and recommendations.